First steps after death of a loved one

The death of a loved one can cause great personal distress.


You are best advised to call us directly after the death. We will determine the necessary steps and be ready with assistance and advice on the subsequent process – whether the death occurred at home, in the hospital or a care facility, hospice, public location or while traveling abroad.

What must be done in the event of a death at home?

Notify your usual doctor or call for emergency services immediately. The death must be officially verified by an (emergency) doctor, who will issue the medical death certificate. Please be aware that prior to the verification of death, no changes may be made to the body of the deceased!

Place of death: Munich

In the event of a death in Munich, an emergency or family doctor must be informed so that the post-mortem can be carried out. After determining the cause of death, the doctor will issue the so-called death certificate. 

The deceased can then be collected by a funeral home of your choice.

Afterwards, we will take care of the further procedure together. Himmelblau Funeral Service is your help in the event of a death – in the acute case of death and afterwards. We support you in deciding which type of funeral you would like, organise a funeral service and are, of course, also at your side for all other concerns.

Please contact us even in urgent circumstances

What must be done in the event of death in a hospital or care facility?

In the event of death in a public hospital, the pathologist will prepare a medical death certificate. 


These days, notification of the death, or the death certificate, is lodged electronically and forwarded to the registry office.


Our federal regions have different deadlines for burial. We recommend that you decide on a funeral company within the relevant period and arrange for collection from a hospital. 


If the deceased is located in a care facility, then usually collection by the funeral company of your choice must be arranged on the day of the release of the body.


Please contact us, and we will be glad to advise you of the necessary steps

What must be done in the event of a death in a public place?

When a person dies in a public place, the immediate family will be notified by the competent safety authority. Collection of the body from a public place will be arranged by the City of Munich. 

 We will be happy to clarify for you where the deceased person has been taken and when you can expect the body to be released.

What must be done in the event of a death abroad or in another federal region?

In the event of a death while abroad, you would normally be informed by the foreign ministry, the German embassy or the Austrian consulate in the country where the death occurred. We will also be glad to help in this situation, by consulting with the authorities and the funeral home in the place of death to arrange for the return of the body to Germany.


If a family member dies within Germany and transport to another country or within Germany is desired, then Himmelblau Funeral Services will be happy to arrange the transport and all required measures, official procedures and certifications (apostilles or a complete diplomatic certification, depending on the country) on your behalf.

If international transport is not covered by your travel insurance, transport costs must normally be borne by the surviving family members. We will be glad to assist you in keeping these costs as low as possible. If you wish to avoid placing a financial burden on your relations, you can arrange funeral insurance through us.



After the death is certified by a doctor, the civil registry must be notified. For this you will need the death notification prepared by the attending doctor, which contains a death certificate.


The death must be registered at the registry office no later than the next working day. This will then be entered into the central register of births, deaths and marriages, and a death certificate (Sterbeurkunde) will be issued. For the issuance of this death certificate you will need the following documents:


After the immediate family, the employer, financial institutions and insurance companies must be notified. Landlords, gas and electricity providers, the vehicle licensing office and the telephone provider must also be notified in order to cancel or transfer existing contracts.

A detailed checklist is provided here.

Important documents for the issuance of the death certificate

Here you will find all the documents required for the issuance of a death certificate.


Important addresses in Munich that may be helpful

Here you will find all the important addresses you will need in Munich.